Child given cranberry juice. Juice consists of benzene. Any risk of getting leukaemia?

I just came to realize that I have been givin my child cranberry juice and found out there is benzene in it. Cranberries have natural benzoic acid and the company adds absorbic acid (vitamin c) and together they form benzene. From the samples done that I found documented online the level of benzene is less than 2ppb which is less than the 5ppb allowed in drinking water. However, I am concerned I could have given my child to much benzen since I have been using this juice for 2 years. Did I raise my child's risk for leukemia and is there any statistic that shows the risk? Thank you
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Doubt any risk for leukemia

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will look on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I have not seen any randomized controlled clinical trials or any large clinical studies which have directly linked consumption of cranberry juice to any type of health risk involving malignancy.

i completely understand your concern and I
Can appreciate that you're dealing with a very stressful situation. At the same time I do not believe that there is any significant statistical Risk of leukemia or any type of cancer in the setting that you are describing.

If there were any type of significant risk then these products would be carefully reviewed and warning labels would be applied for consumption by children and adults.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga