Child getting up after one hour sleep, cries with fear and starts vomiting. What treatment should be done?

my 9 year old son gets up in the night just after one hour sleep , he crys with fear & doesnot recognise us . he vomits also & after 10-15 minutes he again falls asleep . he does not remebers any thing in the morning . is it night terror , if so kindly suggess treatment.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 42 minutes later

Thanks for the query

It can be night terror. However associated vomiting is not very common in night terror though some child depending upon their autonomic vulnerability to a fearful stimuli may vomit. In general vomiting does not fit with night terror or Night mare.

Moreover, seizure disorder can also occur in sleep, vomiting can be an association, after the attack client goes to sleep, and no memory for the events (in night terror lack of remembrance for the events may be partial rather than total)

Does he have any history of head injury/birth asphyxia/complicated delivery/prolonged labor or family history of seizure disorder ?

What is the frequency of such episodes ?

Any stressor at home/school ?

To my mind as of now both can be a possibility.

If it is night terror, it responds well to low dose benzodiazepines or sometimes sleep hygienic measure

If it is seizure disorder (the diagnosis have to be made very carefully by a pediatrician or neurologist after detailed history, examination and necessary investigations like EEG/ Neuro-imaging etc.), it is usually controllable with anti-epileptics.

Hope this addresses your query, it would be better if you can answer to my questions, for further discussions

Wish your child a good health and sound sleep

I am available for further clarification

Follow-up: Child getting up after one hour sleep, cries with fear and starts vomiting. What treatment should be done? 8 hours later
yes , my wife had prolonged labour during normal delivery of my son. it was a vaccum delivery . he is very shy & he is not a very happy child . he doesn't talk much.
i had a head injury in my childhood & i was on (delantin) medicine for 3 years , but is it possible that my head injury would affect my child..
my nepfew was 2.5 years old & he was also on medicine (delantin) for 3 years . now he is 12 years & he is absolutely fine.
is it 100% curable.. kindly advice us & also kindly suggess us suitable good specialist in delhi as we live in ncr region...........
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Thank you for further information

First of all, hold your nerves, no need to be panic.

Your head injury has nothing to do with it.

it may not be a good idea to come to a conclusion, of any diagnosis, so quickly. And, therefore, presuming the cause behind, weather curable or not etc may not lead you anywhere constructively. Yes, I do understand your worry being a father.

Family history of seizure disorder is a risk factor.

At the same time, as because your son is not a very happy child, you claim. Is is that something is happening with him at school, home, etc that he is not able to handle which in turn is giving the problems that you are referring to.

It is advisable to consult a Pediatric neurologist/pediatrician/neurologist first and then a psychiatrist, if your primary doctor refer.

Pediatric neurologist as a specialization you may not find easily except at AIIMS or any big corporate

Hospitals at Delhi: AIIMS followed by VIMHANS near Lajpat nagar may be preferred. You can be in touch if you feel like for discussing the progress.

No need to be panic. I am available for further clarification

Wish you and son good luck and good health