Child gets recurrent ear infection. What could be the cause?

Pediatrician
Question
My son is 31 months old and he gets recurrent ear infections what can be causing this he still uses a pacifier i asked his dr if i should take him to an ent she says some kids get up to 4-5 infections a yr. As for hygiene im constantly washing hands im worried
Can there be an underlying problem only thing is a little anemic due to being a picky eater
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

At this age children do contract repeated upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) as they are building their immunity. A complication of URTI is middle ear infection. From the details provided by you there are two factors which when handled shall make some difference:
1. Use of pacifier.
2. Anaemia.
I suggest that you stop your son from using the pacifier as it is difficult to keep it clean and hygienic. It is a difficult habit to be corrected but can be done.

Discuss with your doctor and put your son on haematinics to correct his anaemia. Along with this he will require some vitamin supplements as iron deficiency will not be an isolated issue. There will be associated deficiency of other vitamins too. Once this gets corrected you shall observe that your son's eating habits will also improve. And with that his resistance too.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Child gets recurrent ear infection. What could be the cause? 2 minutes later
His on vitamins she prescribed polyvin flouride she wants to redo blood workis that normal

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

It shall be better if you can let me know the composition of Polyvin Fluroide as I could not find the details of this product.

I would suggest that your son should receive a multivitamin preparation along with an iron preparation.

As the details of the first blood work-up are not available it is difficult to say why another one is being suggest.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Child gets recurrent ear infection. What could be the cause? 15 minutes later
Polyviflouride

The drug is Poly-Vi-Flor and its iron content is very low. It is in maintenance and not therapeutic dose. Depending on the haemoglobin level of your son iron preparation needs to be given in therapeutic dose of 6 mg. of elemental iron per kg. of body weight.

Rajiv

Also what is an average weight for his age is weighs 24 1/2 pounds.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 13 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Weight shall depend on a number of factors like race, etc. At 31 months the average weight is 13.5 Kg. (29 lbs.). If your son's weight has been low from beginning then 24.5 lb. is fine. It is suggested that you plot his weight on a percentile graph and see the progress of the graph.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Child gets recurrent ear infection. What could be the cause? 24 hours later
Another question lymph nodes can they be felt without an infection

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 6 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Yes, lymph nodes can be felt without an infection. Enlarged lymph nodes can be due to a number of reasons. It can be that the infection could have been there earlier and has now subsided.

The location, size, consistency of the lymph nodes are important to know the cause. A clinical examination by the doctor will be helpful.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Child gets recurrent ear infection. What could be the cause? 2 days later
My son has visible veins in his ears chest and forehead is this normal or is there a problem

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 24 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Veins below the skin are superficial and visible. If there is more subcutaneous fat the veins are not easily visible. Hence it is difficult to find veins in obese individuals.

Rajiv