Child gets frequent mania with facial ticks, back pain and leg jerks. How to heal this?

Nov 2013

My son has a 10 day consequtive mania each month for the last 4 years then 23 calm days . During the mania he has leg jerks facial ticks back pain lower restless hands touching everything and moving things away from himself. Insomnia etc.... After the mania the tics etc disappear why do these physical symptoms appear? Then disappear , and will this illness ever go away? We have tried every pill possible nothing stops this
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Both mania and physical symptoms are related to brain dysfunction. I presume that MRI brain has been done, and it was normal. In this case, the symptoms are because of change in brain chemicals, the neurotransmitters. Mainly, the levels of serotonin, acetylcholine and dopamine are altered to give rise to these symptoms. It is unfortunate that the symptoms have not improved despite using different medications, For tics, antipsychotics such as haloperidol and olanzapine are also useful. So, next time, when symptoms appear, these medications may be tried. Also, divalproex or oxcarbazepine or lamotrigine may be used to prevent the recurrence of these symptoms in future. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Follow-up: Child gets frequent mania with facial ticks, back pain and leg jerks. How to heal this? 15 minutes later
Antipsychotic drugs make my son agitated and tics worsen and cause more tardive dyskinesia .... Nothing helps I will go for MRI of spine I think the doctors overlooked meningomyelocele as a child and now as an adult he is getting sicker ... He has lost bladder control at might from the androcur which is not good ... Desmopressin not helping at all
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Yes, it would be a good idea to get his MRI of spine and brain done. Please keep me informed about the reports and progress of your son. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)