Child gets cough and cold frequently. How can I prevent it?

Hi Doc
I have daughter of 14months. she gets cough and cold very option. i have doubt if she continues like this she might get pnemonia. how can prevent her from cough and cold

Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

I can appreciate the concern of apprehensive mother.

Please do not worry.

Normally for a child up to 5 years, we expect visit to a doctor for various ailments about 4-5 times in a year. Cough and cold are amongst the most common reasons for a visit.

Recurrent cough and cold is very common at this age and frequent episodes do not predispose to pneumonia. This kind of infection normally occurs when your body immunity is low and one are not in good health.

Please try following which should help.

1. Diet: Give her good healthy diet. You can give soups, salads, lots of protein ( in milk, paneer, cheese) etc. in different forms. This will boost her immunity and prevent infections. Milk and milk products are also good. Sometimes the children are choosy in food; you need to present them in different attractive ways to pacify them. Please keep a note, at times there are chances of allergy to certain foods or smell.
Normally as she grows her immunity will be stronger and things will be fine.

2. Give her vaccines as per age as recommended by your doctor. Pneumonia vaccine is also available now in India. If not vaccinated earlier, she can still be vaccinated at the age of 15-18 months.Please discuss this with your doctor.

3. Maintain good hand hygiene. Please avoid handling by persons who are having such cough and cold. Keep her away from larger crowds when there is ongoing season of such illnesses.

I hope this answers your query and clarify your doubts. Please feel free to ask if you have any more unaddressed concerns.
Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up queries.