Child fever and vomiting. Has high WBC and positive leuk est in urine. Prescribe cefixime. Is it UTI?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hello Doctor.

I have a baby girl 5 month old. She has WBC 17.9 and has large (+++) leuk est in the urine. Doctor sent the urine for culture and gave her a shot of ceftriaxone and prescribed cefixime and said she probably has UTI. May I wait till Monday when we have her urine results and not to give her medicine. Yesterday she had a fever of 102 and has been vomiting.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 41 minutes later
Welcome to HCM!

No !
You have to give the antibiotics now (cefiime) till you get the urine culture result. After the result ,of culture and sensitivity, it will be decided whether to continue or not.

Considering her young age and signs suggestive of UTI,this is the best way to treat!

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma