Child fell from bed. Had bloody nose. Chances of head injury or broken nose?

ENT Specialist
My son fell out of bed in the middle of the night and landed on what looked to be his head. He cried immediately and then went back to sleep (I think he was still half asleep), but he had a bloody nose. The blood was a small amount controlled with dabbing it with a tissue. When asked what hurt, he said it was his lip. I checked for bumps, but there don't seem to be any at this time. The blood seems to have stopped. Does he have a head injury ora broken nose?
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 44 minutes later

I read your query regarding bleeding from the nose of your son who fell down from his bed in the middle of night. However, at present, there is no active bleeding from nose and after sleeping a while, he is complaining of hurt on lip.

It may be possible that on fall he may have sustained injury over face involving his lip, therefore is the pain. As far as nosebleed is concerned, it also appears to be fracture of nasal bones are also quite common in such injuries and may be easily ruled out by taking X-Ray of nasal bones in AP and LATERAL views.

Since your son had awaken after sleep, speaking well about pain on lips, there is no vomiting or nausea, thus head injury is unlikely.

I hope this explains about your query, let me know if anything unclarified.

Follow-up: Child fell from bed. Had bloody nose. Chances of head injury or broken nose? 17 hours later
If he did, in fact, have a fracture of the nasal bones, would there be bruising on his nose? He does not appear to have any bruises or further symptoms from the fall, but I want to be sure I have not missed something that may result in complications later.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 5 hours later

Thanks for rewriting to us.

In reference to your query regarding fracture of nasal bones or the bones of bony part of nasal septum bruising on nose is not necessary, because nasal bones are very thin and weak also they may get fracture by quite less force as compare to desired force to fracture bones of other parts of body. Therefore X-Ray of nasal bones is the only method to confirm it.