Child fell from bed. Eyebrows and eyelids are swollen. What could be done?

My son got hit by falling from bed....after three hours his eye brows and eyelids are swollen with a big color change..m worried pls suggest as we are out for holiday
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a minor external injury.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Head injuries fall into two categories external (usually scalp) injuries and XXXXXXX head injuries, which may involve the skull or the brain.
Fortunately, most childhood falls or blows to the head result in injury to the scalp only, which is usually more frightening than threatening. The scalp is XXXXXXX with blood vessels, so even a minor cut there can bleed profusely. The "goose egg" or swelling that has appeared after a head injury is the result of the scalp's veins leaking fluid or blood into (and under) the scalp. It may take days or even a week to disappear.
If your child has not lost consciousness, and is alert and behaving normally after the fall apply an ice pack to the injured area for 20 minutes every 3 to 4 hours. If you use ice, always wrap it in a washcloth or sock; ice applied directly to bare skin can cause cold injury to the skin.
Observe your child carefully for the next 24 hours. If color and breathing are normal, and you observe or sense no other abnormalities, there is no need to worry.
If your child shows any signs of XXXXXXX injury (see below), visit the doctor if he complaints of head and neck pain, vomits repeatedly, difficult to awaken, isn't walking normally.
Some XXXXXXX head injuries complications of a fractured skull, torn blood vessels, or damage to the brain itself can be serious and possibly life threatening like unconsciousness for more than a few minutes, bleeding or clear fluid from the nose, ear or mouth, disturbance of speech or vision, neck pain or stiffness, seizure, then would advice to visit a clinician immediately.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Child fell from bed. Eyebrows and eyelids are swollen. What could be done? 6 hours later
Pls tell me any good anti inflamatory medicine or tablet thnx
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acetaminophen suspension.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
You can give him acetaminophen suspension for pain relief. If the pain is not relieved with it then do consult a physician for stronger prescription medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your son a good health.