Child fell down and has a lump on the left side of head above the ear. Should I be worried?

Feb 2013

Our 21 month old fell from a standing position and bumped her head. Has a raised lump / bruise on the left side of her head above the ear. She's acting perfectly happy, normal, and lucid. Just went to bed and sang herself to sleep. Should we be concerned at all, or is she likely okay?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She is likely okay, but keep a close watch on her.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The bump above on her eye is due to development of contusion in the scalp because of the impact of injury on head. This bump will subside gradually over time.

Nothing to worry as she is acting perfectly happy and normal.

But observe her closely for next 24 hours for the following danger symptoms and signs which are suggestive of brain injury:

1. Drowsiness or excessive sleepiness.

2. Vomitings.

3. Abnormal or incoherent behavior or activity.

4. Seizures.

5. Altered sensorium.

6. Bleeding from nose or ears.

7. Paucity of limb movements.

If you find any above abnormality, I suggest you to consult emergency immediately.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.