Child fell down. Got dark swollen lip, no bleeding. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My 3 yr old fell hit his upper lip which is swollen no loose teeth or was there any blood but inside of lip is now turning dark purple.. Is it something to be scared about and to have him be seen
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 44 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Lips are very delicate structure and easily prone to injuries - resulting in swelling. The purple and blue colour of the lips indicates that you may have some XXXXXXX bleeding as a result of the injury.

One of the first things to do when your child comes to you with a swollen lip is apply ice to the area to stop the swelling. Wrap a few ice cubes in a kitchen towel or face cloth, rather than applying directly.

If your child appears to be pain from the swollen lip, give him a dose of ibuprofen syrup for the discomfort.

Since there is no bleeding , laceration :So no need to worry.
In addition to the medications, I also suggest the following:

- Have a soft diet for one or two days. Avoid foods that are spicy and avoid stretching of your mouth for big foods like whole XXXXXXX
- You may feel a strong urge to lick the upper lip when it is in swollen state, but you must avoid that as it can aggravate the problem. Drink plenty of pure water to keep the lip moist.
- Include Vitamin C in your diet to speed up the healing process. Vitamin C pills might help.

Expect about 4 to 5 days to heal.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing him speedy recovery..

Dr Saurabh Gupta.