Child fell and bump appeared on head. There is no swelling or cut. Should I be worried?

My son is almost 11 months old and a week ago he feel off the high chair onto hard floor. That night I called a nurse line and asked if I should take him to the ER, based off how my son was reacting to the fall it looks like he would be okay. There was no red marks or cuts or bumps. So the next day he wakes up with a big bump on the right side of his head, I take him in to a Urgent clinic and Dr told me looks like he should be fine just to keep a look out for any sudden changes in my son. Well the bump went down about two days ago but today it was back again, not as big as the first time but still a bigger size than when it went down. Should I be worried about the bump returning? It feels soft. His been acting himself and eating right.
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for your son.

If your son is behaving normally then there is nothing much to worry and the soft lump seems like a small hematoma. However if your son shows any abnormal behavior like seizures, uprolling of eyes, tics, unconsciousness then any subdural hematoma needs to be ruled out. Unlike in epidural hematomas, which are usually caused by tears in arteries, subdural bleeding usually results from tears in veins that cross the subdural space.

Symptoms of subdural hemorrhage have a slower onset than those of epidural hemorrhages because the lower pressure veins bleed more slowly than arteries. Thus, signs and symptoms may show up within 24 hours but can be delayed as much as 2 weeks

Most of the time, subdural hematomas occur around the tops and sides of the frontal and parietal lobes. I think a CT scan of head will definitely help in ruling out such sinister problems which can happen after a traumatic brain injury. Also keep an eye on any neurological symptoms or seizures. If they happen, consult ER at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.