Child feeling well after taking treatment for leukemia. Concerned for myelodysplastic syndrome?

My daughter is in remission from Leukemia and is 7 years old. Her MCV is 91. I am concerned. Is there a way I can help lower this? This was on a regular relapse test last Monday. Her oncologist says she has trended high the entire time since diagnosed in 2008. She has had her port out since Feb. 16 2012. However, now it is 91 (MCV) I am concerned about MDS. My doctor says only 3 children out of 600 in the last 40 years have gotten in...but my question is...can I lower this somehow?
Posted Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 13 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I understand your concerns. It is great that your daughter is doing well after treatment for leukemia. Now there are two things we are watchful for- disease relapse and late effects. The disease seems to be in remission. I am not too concerned about the MCV at this point as it looks pretty normal to me. MCV of 91 in a 7 yr old is fine.
MDS is a possibility after treatment of leukemia and your doctor has correctly pointed out that the incidence is low. But you cannot prevent MDS from happening by lowering the MCV. Unfortunately there is nothing that we can do at this point to prevent MDS or even secondary leukemia. We can only detect it early and treat if required. However, I reiterate that this MCV does not herald the onset of MDS.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.
Best Wishes,