Child feeling uncomfortable. Is there any relation any between cow's milk and colic baby?

My son is one year old now. He is highly colic from 3 months of age. It had reduced after about 7-8 months of age but now recently i have introduced him to cow's milk, although i still breastfeed him 2 times a day the colic symptoms have increased and he is very uncomfortable somtimes. I have been using colicaid drops whenever he is very uncomfortable and cries. He is very active and generally a very cheerful baby. He has reached all his milestones on time and has never fallen ill till date. I owuld like to know if there is any relation with cow's milk and colic symptoms, if so what are the recomendations.
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later
Thank you for your query. Cow’s milk contains high amount of protein and that can give problem with digestion due to an immature digestive tract. Also. the level of vitamin D is not adequate.
For these reasons it is recommended that cow’s milk should not be started before first birthday as you have done. But as we are all different, some children may not tolerate cow’s milk even after 12 months. You mentioned it is getting worse. My advice is stop feeding him cow’s milk and go back to formula feeding for some times then go back to cow’s milk again. I am sure the colic is related to cow’s milk.
Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee
Follow-up: Child feeling uncomfortable. Is there any relation any between cow's milk and colic baby? 4 days later
Thanks a lot doctor for your answer.

But i have never fed my son with formula, he was always on breastfeeding exclusive upto 6 months and later on home made baby food- includes veg and fruits.
I do not want to put him on formula.

I have now changed from full fat milk to skimmed milk, which is better because he is fine from a week. But he does not take milk at all, i just dilute it with water and give him warm. I do not want to add sugar, since it might effect his teeth.

Can you suggest me any natural sweeteners which are healthy and can attract my son for drinking milk. I want to stop breastfeeding, but before that i want him to drink milk, can I add junior horlicks or bournvita etc for new taste?

Thanks a lot once again.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 46 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX I think you may try natural honey with milk. I don't think it will
damage the teeth. I think you should take to a paedtrician for the advise
to give the child vitaminD and cacium suppliment for his growth and physical
devolopment and prevention of Ricket. The 12 month old child needs 400I.U. Vit D and 500mgm of Calcium daily. Kindest regards Dr. S.K.Mukherjee