Child feeling stubborn and fearless. Is it safe to give divalpoex sodium 125 and paroxetine 12.5?

my twelve year old niece has stopped going to school saying she does not like it and has become very stubborn, fearless. on consulting school authorities they said that she does not heed to their calls also and in unmanagable. on consulting a neurologist he has suggested divalpoex sodium 125 and paroxetine 12.5.
but thier side affects are very severe also she is quiet fraille,am unable to decide whether to start the medicene or not.will giving medicene for a week be ok or does it need to be continued for ever,as she is a small child what will be be the side affects of prolonged use of the above drugs
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 42 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I appreciate your concern. However in this case my approach would be totally different then the one mentioned by you. I would first like that your niece be seen by a child psychologist to understand why she is behaving in this manner. We need to find the cause and treat the cause rather than the 'depression'. There must be some reason why she is so stubborn and unmanageable which is not easy to find and requires a lot of patience and time.

Giving your niece medicine for a week or so will not help as the treatment of depression is a long one.

Some of the side effects of divalproex are:
1. Nausea, vomiting, upper abdomen pain, loss of appetite, dark coloured urine, clay coloured stool, jaundice - suggestive of liver damage or pancreatitis
2. Mood or behaviour changes, anxiety, agitated, hostile, suicidal tendency, etc.
3. Allergic reactions like hives, difficulty in breathing, swelling of face, lips and tongue.

The side effects of parxetine are nausea, headache, anxiety, insomnia, drowsiness, constipation, weakness, dry mouth, diarrhoea, loss of appetite, increased blood pressure and seizures.

Hence, to conclude, I would suggest to consult a child psychologist and behaviour treatment rather than starting medicines straight away.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your niece all the best.