Child feeling sick and vomited after eating. Could this be some sort of allergy or intolerance?

Dec 2012

My grandson is 5 years old. Twice in last 6 months, he's been sick (liquid - has kept solid food down) - seems fine in himself. He had this Friday. Was fine Saturday, ate toast for breakfast (kept down), then had ice lolly, which he vomited. Fine for rest of day. This morning he had two poohs, which looked like undigested food.

Could this be some sort of allergy or intolerance?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 15 minutes later

From your description sounds to me like indigestion rather than intolerance or allergy. If it where either you would have noticed the same kind of food (s) causing discomfort and other signs such as abdominal discomfort or pain, more or less diarrhea/constipation, vomiting each time he ate the same brand of food.
He might be having indigestion due to malabsorption or poor chewing/swallowing habits ones a while.
In order to determine tolerance as the cause, you will need to start giving ones a while the same type of food,then observe his reaction if any vomiting or diarrhea or abdominal pains after eating those. If it happens each time, then you can say he is intolerant to that food brand.
If the problem persist, I think seeking a pediatrician's assistance will be highly recommended.
Wish you the best to you and your grandson.
Dr Nsah