Child feeling sick and noticed bits of white greasy bowel movements. Should I go for stool analysis?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My one year old daughter started being sick on sunday (four days ago) and was sick four times and then it stopped she was fine in herself after each episode and ate a piece of toast a few hours later since then she has had very bad pale with bits of white greasy bowel movements that go everywhere from 2-5 times a day i know that after a bug sometimes the body does not absorb fat and this could be the reason but it seems to go on for weeks at a time do you think it is just a virus or should I have the poop analysed to rule out anything untoward as she seems to get it fairly often?
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 21 minutes later
Welcome to health care magic!
From what you describe,it looks like a viral episode!
This can happen with or without fever.
Stool examination is not going to reveal much unless there is blood or mucus in the stools.
You are correct in your interpretation about absorption of fat in the diet during such episodes!
Try to give some bland diet and extra fluids in the form of oral electrolytes like pedialyte,especially if the stools are watery.
Avoiding dehydration is our main concern.
The gastro enteritis settles down over a week or so ,usually!
You can watch her further progress and decide.

All the best
God bless
Dr Uma