Child feeling shaky, lethargic and noticed tongue hanging out. What is the problem?

Nov 2013

My one year old grandson has always had healthy checkups, but he continuously drools and recently has his tongue hanging out a little. He recently had just one episode of shaking and being lethargic several minutes a few weeks back. His doctor is sending him for a neurologic workup. What could be the possibilities?
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most important condition to exclude in your grandson is hypothyroidism (deficiency of thyroid hormones). In this condition, lethargy, protruding tongue and drooling may occur. A blood test for thyroid profile (T3, T4 and TSH) would exclude this condition.

Based on the information, I do not think there is a possibility of any serious neurological disease. I presume he had normal birth and has had all normal developmental milestones so far.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog: