Child feeling movement in head with hurting neck. Felt lump at base of neck. Any thoughts?

Nov 2013

I have a nine year old daughter who has recently been in the ER due to a sudden onset of head motor tics. Then we followed up with her pediatrician this past Monday. Doctor felt this was nothing to be concerned about and if they had not gone away within 6 months to bring her back. Tonight she was complaining about how all her head movements are hurting her neck. I rubbed her neck and felt a lump at the top of her spine/base of her neck? Thoughts?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 16 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

Head motor tics are minor issues and resolve on their own in most cases.
If they don't resolve, one can use medications such as haloperidol, etc.

Regarding the lump at the base of neck, it may not be related to the tics.
However, in children with abnormal involuntary movements of head, tissues in the neck may become stiff, which gives the impression of a lump.

If the tics are troubling her, you may consult a Neurologist to start on one of the medications, to reduce the movements.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist