Child feeling fatigue, have sore neck and sore legs. Should I be worried?

Hi, two of my three children are now complaining of sore necks, no pain if they don't move, they both feel slightly warm to the touch, but no high fevers, and one of the kids complain of sore legs...and extreme fatigue. Do I worry? Or is this simply flu symptoms I let run their course.
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 1 hour later

Thank you for your question on this website. From the way you have described the symptoms, it looks as if both the children have muscle pain or what doctors call myalgia. Myalgia is most frequently seen as an effect of overworking of the muscles, but when it occurs in the neck, and especially when it occurs in more than one member of the same family, it is most likely due to an influenza-like illness.

I think you should let it run its course, but if the pain is causing discomfort, preventing normal activity or causing you some other form of trouble, you should consider giving them paracetamol syrup/tablet as per their wishes. They can both be safely given 1/2 tablet if their weight is 25 kg or less and the full 500 mg tablet if more than 32 kg.

If, however, the child is not better. you should review her symptoms and take her to a pediatrician.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher