Child feeling dizzy, loss of appetite, tired and looks pale. What is the problem?

I have a 12yo son who woke up very pale and dizzy w a low body temperature and is missing school today. Last Monday he had the same symptoms but had also threw up the night before. He had been fine the rest of last week though but now this Monday morning again feeling dizzy and pale w no appetite for breakfast and tired. Is this anxiety to go to school or could he be anemic or is it something else?
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there,

I can understand your concern for the child. Yes an anemic child certainly looks pale and so does a child who has caught flu.

For a child to look very pale due to anemia, the hemoglobin would be extremely low. Your child will get easily fatigued, feel weak and get dizziness. Palpitations or awareness of ones heart beat is another manifestation. An anemic child will exhibit a prop in school performance and behavioral changes like increased irritability.

So I wish to know if you feel your child has these symptoms as well. In such a case, your child would require a complete blood check up to ascertain the cause of anemia. It is worth doing so as majority of the causes of anemia are treatable.

A flu can initially present with vague symptoms like cough,fever and cold. The child may complain of light headedness and have gut related problems.

You mentioned about low body temperature. I presume you checked it ?

So a blood test is the way to go right now. Its called a complete blood count with a peripheral smear.

I hope you will do the needful.

Kindly do not hesitate to ask me anything regarding your child's health.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery.