Child fainted, dizziness. Taken multivitamin and Gatorade. Why did this happen?

Hi my 12 year old daughter fainted tonight for about 30 sec or less, it was unexpected, she just came out the shower and went to her room to get dress. We heard her fell but she had locked the door so I was yelling her name and my husband was about to break the door down when she heard us calling and open the door for us. She told us that she felt dizzy but she didn't know that she fell, when she recovered she was wondering why she was on the floor.
She was much more energetic after, I gave her a multivitamin and gatorade to drink.
I am very worried why this happen, she had 2 slice of pizza a hour before.
She fainted before but it happen in the doctor office when he took blood for her physical.
Her doctor is closed for the weekend, why sis this happen and what should I do?
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

The condition you are describing is called as syncope in medical terms.
Though it has many causes for it like anemia, heart related arrhythmia, dehydration, stroke in elderly; it is fairly common in adolescent and elderly population.

Most of the time causes for fainting in adolescent group are sudden change in position, not eating properly, dehydration, hot shower for long time.

As per your description, if your daughter had enough breakfast and fluids; cause is most likely hot showers.
During hot showers, body tries to cool down by dilating blood vessels and blood rushes away from the head down to cool the skin. This result in transient less blood supply to brain and fainting occurs for few seconds.

So need not worry.
Consult doctor if fainting occurs frequently and if it associated with blurring of vision/palpitations/numbness in extremities.

I would recommend that let your daughter have enough of breakfast and fluids. Hot shower for limited time. Do not worry.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: Child fainted, dizziness. Taken multivitamin and Gatorade. Why did this happen? 5 hours later
Thank you so much, this was very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 16 hours later
You are welcome.