Child facing difficulty to pass stool and urine after spinal cord surgery. Will it be cured?

Neurologist, Surgical
My son XXXXXXX 10 years old can't pass stool and urine by his own. This has happened immediate after a surgical operation done on his spinal cord(S2/S3). Since May 2006 stool are discharging with manual intervention and urine with the help of feeding tubes. He is under medication of Oxybutinin composition twice a day. Is there any hope to recover him from this deases...
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 12 hours later
Dear friend,

I understand your concern and therefore I would like to know what your son was operated for?

But I presume it was for spinal disraphism. In such cases where bladder and bowl are involved, they are either last ones to recover or not at all. Though his chances of recovery is bleak; you can try sphinter stimulation techniques or Clean intermittent self cathterization as you are doing now.

Hope I have answered. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Child facing difficulty to pass stool and urine after spinal cord surgery. Will it be cured? 2 days later
Hi, Dr XXXXXXX Saggar
Referance to your query,
My son was carrying a lipoma on his S2/S3 level of Spinal Cord when he born and was a very small in size. the Lipoma was becoming bigger(15mm) when my son reached 3 yrs of age. His Doctor advised to remove the Lipoma immeditely as it might harm my son in growing. A paediatric and a Neuro seargeon combined removed the same by surgery. After it was operated he stopped passing urine as well as stool by his own...
Now can you please advise if there any other medicines/process to recover him...
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 5 hours later

I have reviewed the details provided.

At this instance, physiotherapy is the only option. There are no surgery/medicine available to correct the deficits; but physiotherapy can definitely help.

Consult a qualified physiotherapist and plan the therapy at the earliest.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.