Child experiencing black out vision for few seconds. No headaches, vomiting or fever. Advise?

Question
My 15 yr old son is experiencing black out vision with a small area in the center of vision, the rest all around is black. Usually happens after getting up from a sitting or lying position. Lasts approximately 2-5 seconds then goes away. Has no headaches, vomiting, or fever.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

I understand your 15 year old son is having issues with his vision. These symptoms usually happen after getting up from a sitting or lying position.

Based on what you have said it sounds like he is having a kind of postural hypotension issue.

He should see his GP to have some vital signs checked and some routine blood work to make sure everything looks ok.

Does he get lightheaded? Has he ever passed out?

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Child experiencing black out vision for few seconds. No headaches, vomiting or fever. Advise? 6 hours later
He has never passed out.

He gets a little lightheaded when it happens.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 hours later
Ok.

I would advice you to go to your GP. Tell them the story and they should want to check and EKG and blood work such as a complete blood count, Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, BUN, Creatinine, glucose. And also check his vital signs.

Hope you have found this helpful.