Child drowned while swimming had indentation above eye, bleeding from nose and ears. What could have happened?

Pediatrician
Question
My child was said to have drown in a swimming pool, when I saw him before the coroner took him away. He had and indentation above his left eye about the size of a XXXXXXX and blood streaming from his nose and ears, the autopsy has not returned yet. What could have cause this?
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 19 minutes later

Its really very sad incident and words can not explain them.

The most obvious cause is head injury , where the head struck with some hard object and resulted in intra and extra cranial bleed.

Another possilbe explanation is that drowning itself can result in electrolyte disturbances , sever enough to raise the intra cranial pressure and results in bleeding.

The autopsy report will made the final decision .

Consoling you and your family.

If you have any followup query , I will be waiting for that.

Dr. XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Child drowned while swimming had indentation above eye, bleeding from nose and ears. What could have happened? 21 minutes later
Could a fall in twelve foot pool cause the electrolyte disturbances to occur?

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 7 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up.

It is less likely but it depends upon other factors too, the cleanliness of water, the duration for which he remained in unconscious state in the pool , the amount of water he has inhaled or ingested . They can lead to electrolyte imbalance. but as I said autopsy report will confirm the cause which most likely appear to be a traumatic one.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr. Imraan

Follow-up: Child drowned while swimming had indentation above eye, bleeding from nose and ears. What could have happened? 12 minutes later
The pool condition was dirty brown, muddy looking water, how does the condition of the pool weight in? The coroner said that my the early stages of rigamortis had set in, how long does this take to happen? This could explain the time length.

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 3 hours later

Thanks for your clarification.

The muddy, dirty water itself is injurious to lungs and respiratory tract, may obstruct the airways and causing suffocation, asphyxia and brain death.

If rigor mortis has been in the earlier stage it must be more than 3 to 4 hrs, he has been quite a longer time stayed in after death, he must be struggling for life.

For this much longer duration, even water intoxication can do a lot with body physiology.

Dr XXXXXXX