Child drank after shave, coughing while drinking milk. What should I do?

my 19 month old got into after shave. I dont know how much he ate or if he just put it on his mouth. He is acting normal and happy, but was coughing a bit afterwards trying to drink his milk. What should i do?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 minutes later

I would like to know more to help you out:

1. Please mention the contents of the after shave as after shave comes in many forms.

2. Did he vomit?

3. Is he crying excessively?

4. Is he behaving abnormally?

Some aftershave especially the liquid forms may contain ‘methyl alcohol’ with can be harmful. If your baby’s mouth smells of the after shave then definitely he has eaten/swallowed it. Take him to the ER immediately.

Awaiting your reply.