Child does not sleep properly, is only breastfed. No medications or Lactogen given

my 4 month 4 days old daughter, does not sleep between 230 to 530 am..and also she does not sleep beyond 9 hours in a day

She cries a bit between 230 to 530am in the early morning

She is only on mothers milk, nothing else.

no medication what so ever no lactogen also.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

First of all congratulations on birth of baby girl.

I can appreciate your concern.

I do not see any reason for worry.

Duration of sleep seems to be fine. Child at this age sleep any where between 9-12 hours.

There could be some common reasons for not sleeping properly at night.

1. Hunger
2. Pain in abdomen
3. Some nasal blockade
4. Normal part of routine.

When inside the uterus the babies sleep mostly at day time and remain awake at night. In some babies after birth this pattern of sleep continues even after birth and they remain awake and playful at night.

In your case if the baby remains playful when awake at night, nothing needs to be done, with time this will be taken care off.

In case of any problem other then this please take her to your doctor or paediatrician and get her examined.

If she is growing well, playful most of the time and taking mother’s milk well, I do not see any reason for worry.

I hope this helps.

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing her very best in life.

Follow-up: Child does not sleep properly, is only breastfed. No medications or Lactogen given 26 minutes later
thank you Doctor!
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 17 minutes later

Please accept the answer,rate it and close the query.