Child diagnosed with paresis of the optic nerve. What kind of treatment can you advise?

hi. Neurophasist diagnosed that my 4 year daughter has a paresis of the optic nerve. What kind of treatment can you advise?
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 36 minutes later

Thank you for writing in.I understand your concern

From your query I learn that your child had recent atopic dermatititis, followed by paresis of optic nerve ( optic neuropathy) probably acute onset one.

Usually at this age most common cause is optic neuritis, which can be unilateral or bilateral.This has to be confirmed by clinical examination, fundus examiantion and also evalution .

MRI brain with orbit cuts helps to know the cause of optic neuritis and to rule out local pathology

Optic neuritis, shows respond to short course of high dose intravenous methylprednisolone , along with antacids and nerve regenerating medicine

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you require additional information

Wish your baby speedy recovery and good health.

Dr Sandhya Manorenj
Hi Tech city, Hyderabad India

Follow-up: Child diagnosed with paresis of the optic nerve. What kind of treatment can you advise? 24 hours later
hi! thank you for your answer! How do you think, could be optic neurophaty as result of side effect of medicini which she drank during the treattment of atopic dermatitis?? If required, I can send you list of this medicine
thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 13 hours later

In Atopic dermatitis most of the medicines used are for topical application (like steroids and other immunomodulator drugs) which is unlikely to produce optic nerve involvement.
Also they can prescribe antiallergy medicine which also does not have such complication.

You may send the medicine list to help you better.