Child diagnosed with hearing loss. Advised for hearing aid and encephabol syrub. Any side effects?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi Dr,

My child will be 5 yrs in July, 2013 and have been diagnosed with Moderately severe hearing loss. We have been advised to get hearing aid for him but the doctor also prescribed encephabol syrub. I checked to see the side effects and a bit scared for all what i saw. Please what is your take in all these?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 24 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I need a small clarification in the query posted by you. Is the hearing loss of sensorineural neural type or mixed or only conductive type. If you can scan and mail the audiogram, it will make the things easier for me.

Secondly, as an ENT doctor I do not prescribe this drug. This drug is prescribed to increase the microcirculation in the brain. If this medicine is prescribed for hearing loss, I am afraid it is not going to be of any help to the child.

Please revert back to me with the audiogram results.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Child diagnosed with hearing loss. Advised for hearing aid and encephabol syrub. Any side effects? 7 days later
Hello Dr.,

As requested, I have attached 6 pages of report to the query for better clarification. I will be expecting your feedback soon.

Thank you.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Hi

Welcome back

I have gone through the reports in detail and the results show that your child is having severe nerve weakness due to which he is not able to hear properly. As the deafness is of a severe variety, he needs to use programmable hearing aids, followed by aggressive speech therapy (if his speech is not very clear).

As the damage to nerves has already happened, no amount of medicines can bring it back to the normal level. Hence, I don't think encephabol syrup will be of any help at this stage; hearing aids will suffice.

Finally, get the hearing tests at regular intervals (once in a year), this can help in comparing the hearing results and to prevent further worsening of the symptoms.

Hope this clarifies your doubts; I will be available for the further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Child diagnosed with hearing loss. Advised for hearing aid and encephabol syrub. Any side effects? 6 minutes later
Thank you Dr., I will definitely keep you posted of any new development.

Best regards.

Sam.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

I wish your child a good health. God bless you all. Please keep me informed if there are any developments.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon