Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Child diagnosed with chronically infected tonsils. Could it be due to living in moldy environment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
My almost 5 yr old daughter has had enlarged tonsils for at least the last 3 years and they appear to have been getting progressively worse - she has now been diagnosed with chronically infected tonsils and a toncilectomy has been scheduled. Since she was 6 months old we have been living in a very moldy house. Is it possible that the moldy environment has caused the enlargement and chronic infection of her tonsils? Could moving house resolve the problem without undergoing surgery?
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
You have written a very nice and detailed report about your daughter!
From what you have written,it looks like that she has both enlarged tonsils and adenoids.
There are a few points to consider.
1- There is a generalised tendency for all lymphoid tissue including tonsils to become bigger between 3-5 years and then there is natural regression as the child grows.This situation is possible when there is minimal enlargement of tonsils!
2 -chronic tonsillitis by definition which means tonsillitis occuring more than 7 times in the preceding year or more than 5 times in each of the preceding 2 years or more than 3 times in each of the preceding 3 years - is indication for surgery usually.
3- The concern here is chances for secondary infection like abscess,strep infections (which can lead to nephritis and rheumatic fever),airway obstruction,etc
4- Her symptoms of difficulty in swallowing,low weight,repeated ear infections -all suggest that she may be better off with surgery.
5-Regarding molds,I do not think that changing the environment will help in avoiding surgery at this stage!
It will help in decreasing allergic symptoms of mold in future.
All the best
God Bless
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor