Child diagnosed with Clostridium difficile and treated with flagyl. Watery stool, gas. Concerned.

hi, my 2 yr old was diagnosed w c diff back in Oct 2011(after treatment for 1st ear infection) and was treated w flagyl for 10 days. After this he was tested and test came back neg but he was still showing signs- so we took him to a ped GI and which point he put him on probitics for one month. All his symptoms were gone and we retested him but the test came bk positive, so GI still wanted to treat w probitics for one more month. Which we did, no syms but test still came positive again! Dr said still continue probitics but now some sym are coming back, watery stool (1-2 per day, very dark in color) passing gas all day but much more during the evening and gas has c diff smell. Dr said still cont w probitics but @ this point I'm not sure am extermily concerned. Please help!
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 8 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Clostridium difficile is a commensal in the intestines and is held in-check by the other organisms in the intestine. Use of antibiotics induces secretion of a toxin which inturn causes loose stools. Hence detection of toxin and not bacteria is important to decide if it is pathogenic.

Stopping antibiotics is all that is required to treat Cl. difficile and the toxin production is shut off.
Probiotics are also used to suppress the growth and toxin production by Cl. difficile. Passing Gas usually indicates presence of undigested sugars in the large intestine and could be due to transient lactose intolerance following the antibiotic use. Hence avoid milk for 10 days and use curd and yogurt instead.

If a 2 yrs old is having repeated diarrhea, look at the personal/food /school hygiene and improve them.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.