Child develops fluid filled bruise on vertebrae at back. It doesn't hurt. How to get rid of it?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My 14 yr. old daughter is a dancer she spends alot of time during contempary or modern dance rolling around on the floor. She developed these fluid filled bruises on her vertebrae of her spine awhile back. She said they don't hurt but they don't look good. Just wondering if I need to take her to a specialist or not. Or if you have any idea what they might be.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 29 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

It would help if you could attach photo, but considering her sport activity, if there is excessive friction between her back and floor, then it can cause skin lesions called bula or vesicle, because superficial skin layer detach from deeper layers and fluid accumulates in it.
Second possible cause is haematoma or subcutaneous edema and this is caused by same mechanism.
Whatever it is, this is nothing serious ,but she should rest till symptoms subside, put some ice if there is pain or swelling and if you notice signs of inflammation ( redness,pain, pus secretion)you should visit doctor. When it heals, she should put some soft compresses or plasters in this area while dancing to prevent it.
If these bruises occur with no reason(trauma, dancing) then she needs to do some haematological tests to rule out some blood clotting disorders.
WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. regards
Follow-up: Child develops fluid filled bruise on vertebrae at back. It doesn't hurt. How to get rid of it? 16 hours later This is a picture of her spine doe's not look like what you thought it was. I pulled up pics online. Let me know what you think.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 15 hours later
Hi sir.
This is something more significant as i can see from photo. It can be traumatic bruising but if there wasnt obvious hit than she needs further evaluation.
i suggest ultrasound first and needle aspiration if necessary. Till that just put ice compresses and she must completely avoid pressure on this part of spine.
if it becomes painful, swelling progresses or there is pus secretion, she must go to doctor because antibiotic treatment is necessary. Wish you good day.