Child developed nappy rash when diaper was cleaned late. Applied proctoguard ointment but no help. Suggest?

My baby is 17 months old girl now. One day the potty was not noticed and the dialper was cleaned very late. Due to which she developed a rash. She has developed nappy rash which has become red and feels rough now. The skin has become rough. I applied proctoguard ointment with vaseline as prescribed by my local doctor. But it is not helping. Please suggest immediately or prescribe something which can heal her. I have been using huggies diapers.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 8 hours later

I understand your concern.

Your baby has developed rashes for which I suggest you to do following things;

-Keep area dry.
-Avoid diapers.
-Excessive scrubbing of area should be avoided,wash area with water and wipe very gently.
-Air dry area after washing.
-Apply cream containing zinc oxide 3 to 4 times a day.
-If rashes persist you can apply low potency corticosteroid cream like 1% hydrocortisone 3 to 4 times a day.
-It could also be candidial infection for which topical antifungal cream will be needed.

If symptoms persist I suggest you to get your baby examined by pediatrician as physical examination will be required.

Hope I have answered your query,in case you have any other question I will be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.

God bless!!