Child developed clear liquid filled blisters under upper lip, swollen lip, red bruising, fever, headache, cough. Ideas?

My 6 year old son, early in the afternoon all of a sudden developed this clear liquid filled looked blisters under his upper lip that made his lip swell up. He looked like he has a little red bruising on the corner of his lip as well. Now he has a 102.3 fever. The blister seemed to have gone away but his lip is still swollen. Earlier today he was complaining of a headache and a little cough. I gave him a claritin and Tylenol, but this was at 4pm in the afternoon. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi ,

The description you are providing fits with herpes labialis.

It is also known as febrile herpes.Before the onset of fever or with the fever begins patient develops clear fluid filled blister around the lips .As the fever recedes the blisters go away.

My advise to you would be to continue claritin and tylenol .

As the infection subsides the swelling of lips would go away.

If you need any further clarification do let me know.

Follow-up: Child developed clear liquid filled blisters under upper lip, swollen lip, red bruising, fever, headache, cough. Ideas? 42 minutes later
Are you talking about a viral infection? How lond does it usually last? What are the treatments? He is also is now coughing.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 26 minutes later
Hi again,

Herpes labialis is a viral infection.It requires no separate treatment.

As the treatment of infection is done herpes labialis will go away.

For the cough and fever your son may require antibiotics,antihistaminics,anti tussives.

Please consult a pediatrician who will examine and prescribe the required drugs.

Hope this helps.