Child developed a lump on head after a fall. Something serious?

Jun 2015

My 2 year old daughter banged the back of her head on the edge of a wall whilst standing up she cried and a lump formed straight away she now has a temp of 38.2 but is fine in herself has eaten can the two be linked?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
They are linked by mediators of inflammation

Detailed Answer:

The lump over the head formed after banging the wall is due to accumulation of blood/fluid & it is called hematoma.
The swelling/lump formed is due to presence of certain substances released by the traumatized tissues (known as mediators of inflammation)
The presence of such substances is also responsible for an increase in body temperature.

In your post, you have not mentioned about presence of any other associated symptoms like vomiting, loss of consciousness, convulsions, etc.
So, there is no need to worry, it will automatically come down to normal level once the swelling reduces.
Till that time, symptomatic relief is obtained by administration of analgesic-antipyretic preparation like paracetamol, ice compression over the lump & adequate rest.

Wishing your daughter a good health.
Kindly let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.