Child crossing legs, embarrassed and flushed while noticed by someone. Causes ?

my 6 year old daughter keeps crossing her legs, when i notice this, i distract her, sometimes she looks flushed on the face, when will she stop doing this, or how is the best way to deal with this.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 21 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand that your daughter has a condition about her crossed legs. And the fact that she goes hot and flushed when observed.

Firstly, I do not know if you have observed this condition only now in her 6th year or was it there since her childhood. Because, if it was since long then you need to get her assessed with a good child Psychiatrist.

But, if you think it has just cropped up and not since childhood, then rule out common causes like infection in her groin area, urinary problems, toilet training, stress, or any possible abuse at school/etc. Think over these lines and then if you are fully confident that all these are not in her case, then attribute it to a behavioral condition which would need a specialist opinion.

Don't worry, as even if it is purely behavioral, proper training would be advised to get over this habit.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.