Child coughing, vomiting, pale, drawn. Given mucolyte solution. Advice on how to proceed?

Hello. My near five year old has really bad night time coughing for almost a week. Today he threw up his dinner because his coughing was so intense. He is asleep now but his coughing is waking him and he is pale and drawn. I gave a mucolyte soultion and his temp is now 93.56. we live in the uk so healthcare is free but I would appreciate advice on how to proceed now? its 0054hrs here.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for your son, as the cough is disturbing his sleep and it is quite annoying also.

Such a cough is usually allergic in origin or due to a viral infection of throat.

If it is associated with pain in swallowing then bacterial infection or tonsillitis is suspected which needs an antibiotic treatment to subside.

The subnormal temperature is sometimes due to weakness associated with such an illness. It is not much concerning.

Right now in the middle of night you can give him cough lozenges or some ginger ale to soothe his throat irritation. Put on the humidifier in his room. Giving some steam inhalation with a few drops of Eucalyptus oil will also help to bring in relief.

Do not forget to fix an appointment with his pediatrician for proper examination and the required antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.