Child complaints of pain while swallowing. Will vitamin B syrup help?

My five year old son complains of pain while swallowing food/water for last 3 days. Otherwise, he has no other symptoms of cold or fever. We have been giving him pain reducing syrup (ibuprofen+paracetamol) twice daily.

Will vitamin B syrup (Polybion) help (assuming that it could be a throat ulcer)?

Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 minutes later

Thanks for the query feroze

Yes throat ulcer is a very good possibility. But please do watch out for fever.

Since he is 5 years old you could teach him how to salt water gargle as this will augment the recovery
Polybion syrup will definitely help.
Try examining for ulcers yourself with the help of a torch.
Seek professional help of the symptom doesn't subside even after 3 days.
Avoid giving the child spicy food items, make sure all the food items are warm. Too cold or too hot products will aggrevate the condition.
Also for a while avoid milk products like cheese and curd. Milk by itself is fine

I wish your son a speedy recovery
If there is any other doubt I will be happy to help