Child complaining stomach cramping, vomited and had diarrhoea. Suggestion?

My son is 9. On May 31 @ baseball practice (at the beginning of practice) he was complaining about his stomach cramping. About an hour later he vomited. He sat out in the shade with a cool towel & Gatorade. Later that evening he still was vomiting & had diareaha (sp?). He was sick for 2 1/2 days. I kept him inside with lots of liquids (he would even vomit with liquids & the few crackers he would eat). It seemed to be like the bug my older son brought home from school. His only lasted 24 hrs. Then I got it. Mine lasted for 24 hrs. The problem is my 9 yr old is still vomiting @ night. He is not eating much. He had closing ceremonies for baseball Mon & went out to eat & vomited @ restaurant & last night he vomited. He didn't go out side yesterday hardly at all. He did have baseball practice @ 6pm till about 7:30. He had plenty to drink & a went towel to help keep him cooled down. He ate after practice. He vomited @ 12:30. I am concerned that their is something more & not the virus that came from school. He does not vomit during the day. It is at night for the last 3 days.
It lasted for 48 hrs.
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that the viral gastroenteritis has irritated his stomach resulting in temporary gastroesophageal reflux disease.
Gastroesophageal reflux can result in vomiting and the symptoms tend to be worse at night or early in the mornings for most persons.

You may , till his stomach has healed completely, want to institute treatment for reflux temporarily. This would involve restricting the use of fried/fatty/spicy or citrus foods. In addition, reduce any carbonated drinks and use mainly drinks like gatorade which would help to replace the fluids that he is losing and also give him back the electrolytes lost.

Start the use of an GERD medication temporarily. There are some over the counter and others over the prescription. They can be used in children with modification of the dosage for example nexium, prevacid, prilosec all have children dosage.

If the symptoms continue despite this, worsen or you remain concerned it may be best to take him to his doctor for assessment.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Child complaining stomach cramping, vomited and had diarrhoea. Suggestion? 16 minutes later
Thank You for your help.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
You are welcome,hope he feels better. Please feel free to ask any additional questions