Child complaining oh headache and stomach pain. Tiread and not hungry or thirsty. Recommendation?

Hi, my 4.5-year-old daughter came home from preschool today complaining of a headache. She also has a fever (around 101) and is complaining of a stomach ache. She's been lethargic (sleeping almost the whole time since she got home) and not hungry or thirsty. She did jump up and down for me three times when I asked her to. Not sure if I should take her to the hospital or wait until the dr's office opens in the morning...
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

Your daughter is likely to be suffering from Viral Fever. At present, since the fever is very high your daughter is getting lethargic. I would suggest that you give her tepid sponging and antipyretics like paracetamol to control her fever and headache so that when her fever comes down she would be active .The tummy pain could be part of viral fever or may be the beginning of some gastroenteritis.

You should also keep a watch on development of more new symptoms like vomiting, loose motions, running nose. If any of these develop, you could get her examined by her doctor.

At present, you could give her light diet in small portions and keep her well hydrated by giving liquids, juices and soup.

Hope to have answered your query.

Take Care.
Follow-up: Child complaining oh headache and stomach pain. Tiread and not hungry or thirsty. Recommendation? 16 minutes later
She does have a runny nose and a wet cough, has had those for a few days now. No vomiting at this point, no bowel movements of any kind that I know of today. Wakes up crying that her tummy hurts.
Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 26 minutes later

This seems to be a Viral Upper respiratory tract infection. You could give her decongestants for cold and cough.

Is she eating well? Because if her appetite has decreased then it is possible that the tummy pain is due to Gastritis .You could administer antacids and see if she feels better. Give her small portions of food at frequent intervals.

Is there any increase in frequency of urination or burning while passing urine? If there is then one will also have to rule out a fever does not subside in few days then I would advise that you get her examined by her doctor who would carry out few investigations to rule out bacterial infection.

Dr. Himanshi Kashyap.