Child complaining of upset stomach, nauseous, feeling to poop, shaking with shivers. No fever. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My 7 year old daughter is complaing of upset stomach. Was feeling nauseous. Was feeling like she had to poop. Was shaking with shivers. No fever. Then nausea disappeared. Continued shivering then it stopped. Now is resting. I find this odd. What the heck is it?
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Shivering is due to release of inflammatory factors which usually associated with infection.

Usually shivering is a part of chills and rigors which occur during a high grade fever.

In infections, the hypothalamus thermostat temperature is set high, so the body reacts to reach this high temperature by muscle contractions and constriction of blood vessels in the skin to conserve and to produce the temperature.

This part of muscle contractions and vasoconstriction will present as shivering with chills.

Your child seems having a stomach infection by a bug which causing her nauseated and feeling like she had to poop.

Check her body temperature with a thermometer at regular intervals.

If she is having nausea, you can give an antiemetic drug like ondansetron in prescribed dose.

Monitor her for passing loose stools. If she passes loose stools or vomits, there are chances of getting dehydrated because of loss of water and electrolytes in stools and vomitus.

Give sips of oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte to prevent dehydration.

Consult the pediatrician for physical examination and medication.

Hope I have answered your query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child complaining of upset stomach, nauseous, feeling to poop, shaking with shivers. No fever. Suggest? 17 minutes later
she has field trip tomorrow to an amusement park. should she stay home?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 45 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

I advise you to keep the child at home till she feels better completely.

Get her examined by the pediatrician and give medication as per the prescription.

At home monitor her activity, temperature, and hydration status.

Hope I have answered your query.

Best regards.