Child complaining of stomach pain and diarrhea. On electrol. Further advice?

Hello Doctor,
My Doughter, age 3, has been complaining of stomach ache since morning. He passed loose motion 4 to 5 times since yesterday morning. . I have started econorm XXXXXXX & Electrol since yestertday evening . Now kindly give me further advice.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Radhika 53 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.
Your daughter is complaining of stomach ache with loose stools since yesterday.

If the diarrhoea is accompanied by pain in the abdomen, then it is probably an intestinal viral or bacterial infection. Also sometimes it can be due to eating food outside which can cause food poisoning.

During this time she can have light food like:
1. Rice or rice cereal
2. Idli
3. Toast
4. Yogurt (Avoid cow's milk as a beverage until the diarrhoea subsides, but yogurt is all right)

You can continue giving her Econorm /Electrol XXXXXXX
Also avoid any oily or masala food.
Give her sufficient fluids like tender coconut water, lime juice, orange juice without sugar. See that she is not dehydrated.

If the loose stools increase or if vomiting or fever is present, she will need antibiotics and medications for loose stools and need to get examined by a doctor.

I hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.