Child complaining of severe stomach pain. How to ease the pain?

Critical Care Specialist
my son who is 14 is complaining of severe stomach pain. He ate pistachios What can I do to help ease the pain? Should I take him to the hospital
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There is nothing to worry. Detailed Answer: HelloXXXXXX. Though Pistachios are good for health and usually do not cause any health problem, except when large quantities are taken for prolonged time when they can cause cardiovascular problems. It contains a compound called fructans which some times in some individuals can cause gsatro intestinal tract upset leading to abdominal pain, bloating, flatulence, constipation and some time diarrhoea. That is what has happened to your child. You need not be worried. Give him some proton pump blocker like pantoprazole or prilosec OTC (available over the counter) and antispasmodic. Hopefully he will respond to this conservative line of treatment. In case he doesn't respond a visit to ER recommended. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have any more question regarding your son. Regards Dr Sadiq.