Child complaining of rash and anus being itchy. Has lot of white bumps near anus. What could it be?

my nine yr old son was complaining of a rash and his anus being itchy he asked me to check him. I did and he has a lot of bumps near his anus are different sizes and they look white. what can it be?
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 34 minutes later
There could be many causes for anal itching in a child. Some of the common ones being pin worm infestation, allergy to soap, fungal infection or development of lesions like molluscum contagiosum or boils.

As dermatology is completely a visual field, I would appreciate if you could upload an image of the concerned area. It would help in suggesting a probable diagnosis and most effective management plan. You have a feature to upload the image by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.
Hoping to hear from you.
Follow-up: Child complaining of rash and anus being itchy. Has lot of white bumps near anus. What could it be? 13 minutes later
Its not just itchy i checked him and he had bumps i uploaded a pic
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 24 hours later

Thanks for uploading the pic and accept my apologies for the delay in responding back.

I have gone through the image attached. I could see redness in the area and multiple studded raised white or pustular lesions (as they appear). Now we could think of few possibilities in this case
1. Boils - bacterial infection leads to formation of pus filled bumps and redness in surrounding area due to inflammation. The lesions are usually associated with some pain.
2. Molluscum contagiosum- a viral infection that presents initially as flesh colored bumps that may get infected later on and present as pus filled lesions
3. Candida infection- a itchy red rash with slight white slough may be seen with studded pustules. Lesions may present with itching and burning sensation.

Now whatever be the cause, you may begin the treatment as
- Keep the area completely dry. Care should betaken after bathing and after wiping the area with water. Dry by dabbing it with dry soft tissue paper
- Change under wear twice in a day. Wear cotton under wear.
- Do warm water compresses in the area twice in a day for five minutes (dry the area after compresses). Apply an antibiotic cream like nadifloxacin or fusidic acid or mupirocin.
- Dust the area with antifungal powder twice in a day. This would maintain the area dry and treat fungal infection. if any.

With in four or five days, the area should start clearing off. The above treatment would help in treating fungal and bacterial infection both. If it is molluscum then once the infection subsides , you can get in removed.

If in case the lesions do not heal in four or five days, consult a dermatologist nearby as your child might require oral antifungal or antibiotic depending upon the diagnosis.

Hope that helped.