Child complaining of pain above hip. Hurts lying down and walking. Cause?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question 13 year old daughter has been complaining of pain on her right side above her is not warm to the hurts lying down & walking & bending down.....she says it feels fine when there a muscle in that spot? or is kidneys in that spot?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle, Bowel, kidney and appendix

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
From what I understand these would be my possibilities
1) Muscle sprain would be my first , yes there are muscles in that area which can hurt if stained
2) Colitis or appendicitis if she feels pain on pressing deeply in that spot. You need to get her examined for confirmation. An Ultrasound examination if needed may be ordered to find out the cause
3) Kidney, ureter stones can cause pain in that area

If she is doing well otherwise, I would suggest to take lot of fluids initially and try if pain subsides with rest ( muscular )
Hope I answered your query
Wishing your daughter speedy recovery
Dr Arun