Child complained about an episode of dizziness, eyes being crossed. Help?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi my 3 year old granddaughter today was complaining that she was dizzy and her eyes were crossed. This lasted maybe 2 or 3 mins. Concerned about this. Her father said she did it the other day too. So what should I tell her to do?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 49 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
You should take her to neurologist because it can be sign of epilepsy. This is just one possiblity, but I think you should rule this out first. If nothing is found she needs ophtalmologic works up becasue some eyes disorders such as strabismus start in her age. Also, it can be nothing and sometimes simple flu or respiratory infection leads to dizzines and eyes crossing. All in all,visit pediatrican first and ask him for neurologist examination.Then follow his recommendation. Till that watch for signs of fever, dehydration,seizures or enterocolitis and if you notice any of these report this to doctor.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help