Child choking on catarrh. Tried sinus rinses. Had removed tonsils and adenoids. Recommendation?

My 3 year old is choking on catarrh every night. He is woken every few minutes trying to catch his breath and consequently wakes up exhausted every day.
I am at my whits end about what to do. Due to his age, we have only been able to try sinus rinses. He has had his adenoids and tonsils removed as his airway was so restricted. I feel so helpless.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 59 minutes later

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand catarrh can be very frustrating and sometimes even result in serious consequences.

As your child has already had his adenoids and tonsils removed, other than sinus rinses, I would like to make sure if he has tried all of the following treatment options:
- Corticosteroid inhalers
- Nasal decongesants (oxymetazoline, xylometazoline, etc.) -- not to be used more than 5-7 times a day; even oral decongesants are available, but take more time to take effect
- If nasal polyps are present, surgical removal can broaden the airway
- Anti-histamine medication
- Recognizing allergen and removing contact
- Avoid steam inhalation with hot water (not recommended for children)
- Eucalyptus oil in very lukewarm water
- Menthol crystals in very lukewarm water
- Bronchodilating syrups, to expel any mucus produced
- Small sips of lukewarm water to help expel any mucus produced
- Also, discuss adding multivitamins to your child's regimen, as catarrh usually tires the individual to such an extent that it results in serious outcomes
- Keep your child hydrated
- Certain positions have found to provide relief during sleep in many patients, you could discuss this with your child's doctor as well

Unfortunately, as you mentioned options are very few in children. Do let me know if there is anything more I can help you with. I would be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best wishes