Child breast feeding but have reduced milk flow. Taking lactare and shatvari and gives formula milk. Suggest?

Mar 2013
My baby wil be 3months old on 22aug weighs as on 12/08 5.41 she was born 2.45 kg on 22/05 she was feeding well but however last month I had a drop in milk flow and then got my periods n milk flow started again but again this month the milk flow has dropped my aerolas don't feel full baby has to suck for long for milk my doctor told me I have sufficient milk she has perinorm. I'm taking lactare and shatvari had to give her formula milk n also express my milk but she refuses to take it feed her by spoon n bowl I really want to give my child my breast milk as long as I can what doi do cz she dosnt sleep we'll now and demands for milk as she is unable to suck sufficient milk unlike before I'm really worried will I have to start bottle can't see her hungry
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us.
Firstly, I would ask you not to worry for the following reasons -
1. Your baby is gaining weight absolutely normally, so that shows that she is taking enough milk, even if you feel that is not the case.
2. Your paediatrician has clearly opined that you have sufficient milk.
3. At around 3 months, babies experience a growth spurt, where they seem to spend more time sucking at the breast. They also demand feeds more frequently. You do not need to express the milk or feed her with a spoon and bowl. For most babies, breastfeeding itself is enough, even though most new mothers worry that they might not be producing enough milk. This is because unlike formula feed or bottle feed, one cannot measure breast milk, but if your baby is gaining weight normally, it is the strongest indicator that she is getting enough milk, even though you perceive otherwise. Babies ideally spend 20 minutes at each breast, so it is normal. Demanding 10 - 12 feeds per day, even more, is also within the normal range, so please do not worry. Unless your doctor advises bottle feeds, continue with breastfeeding alone.
4. In the early weeks of nursing, breasts will seem fuller, and with time, the breasts soften, and you might get a false feeling that supply has diminished.
5. Do not compare your baby's weight gain, feeding pattern etc,. to other babies or even your earlier babies, as each child is different, and relatives and friends often add to the anxiety by comparing or telling stories.
6. Do not stress out, as stress inhibits further milk supply. Get your thyroid levels checked, as they might impact lactation. Make sure you take the help of family, as you need rest and sleep yourself for good lactation.
7. Avoid use of pacifiers for the baby.
8. Have optimum fluid intake, atleast 8 - 10 glasses of water per day, and good nutritious diet. Offer both breasts at a time, and gently massage your breasts while suckling to encourage milk flow. Some herbal supplements have been used for many years to increase milk production, with the most popular being Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, Red Raspberry, and Brewers Yeast (containing B vitamins). These dont have scientific backup, but Perinorm can definitely be used if you feel that the supply is indeed less.
9. If you desperately feel that the supply is very low, try and use a breast pump, so you can quantify the amount of milk expressed and fed to the baby.

In short, do not worry, as babies fluctuate with time in their demand and nursing pattern, and as long as the weight gain is proper, and the doctor seems happy with the child's progress, please do not worry.
Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Child breast feeding but have reduced milk flow. Taking lactare and shatvari and gives formula milk. Suggest? 2 hours later
But doctor from past 10 days my aerolas seem soft and only when I squeeze them milk spray comes out while when my baby goes to suck she hardly gets anything is struggling at the breast to get milk cz of which she does not sleep well now or most of the time stays awake asking for milk again n again due which I fear that she is not getting any milk at the breast so I express the same and give it to her what should I do during the day only once my aerolas seem fuller and then again they become soft I'm really worried for my daughter wil it be fatal for her
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
It definitely wont be fatal for her , because you have already consulted your doctor, who has told you that everything seems to be fine.
Please start Perinorm as it has been prescribed to you.
Sometimes babies have phases where they demand more milk, and get up more during the night, due to growth spurts.
however, if you feel that she is struggling for milk, and still not getting enough, then consult your doctor again after a week.
Your baby wont have gained weight if the milk supply was really less, as less as you think it is.
In that situation, you can then ask your doctor again to consider starting breast pump and feeding via a bottle, which is the last option, and definitely not as good for your baby in the long run as breastfeeding.