Child born with incomplete palm. Suggestion?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hello doctor, one of my friend's one year old kid having some problem, at the time of his born his left hand palm not developed completely. Till wrist its developed but finger parts and palm part not completely developed. Sending the photos of the same, could you pl check the same and provide your valuable references if any or suggestion.
pl do the needful. But I am not getting option to upload the photos in the site.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 5 hours later
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
I did see the three photos which you had uploaded.
From what I can understand, this condition is called symbrachydactyly.

Here the fingers may be fused and less developed from birth. This is a genetic problem which occurs in usually one limb due to decreased formation of tissueson that limb.
Usually the aim is to make the child independent and help using his hands effectively. Do consult a plastic surgeon, sometimes surgeries can be helpful to some extent in deepening the webs between individual fingers. Surgery can also restore some finger elements with bone graft. But it is impossible to get normal hand with full function.
As you have mentioned this problem may be associated with heart problems, which needs regular follow ups and treatment as indicated.
Do rule out kidney problems too with ultrasound if not done already.
Hope I answered your query .
Do contact if you need any more help.