Child born with VATERS association. Having issue with bowel movement. Looking for solution

Jul 2016

My son was born with VATERS association. He is 7 and we still have issues with potty training. Is there anything we can do to help him? He has been on two different types of medication for his bladder, but nothing seems to help.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your son who is 7 years old now was born with VATERS Association and one of the congenital abnormality being
Anal Atresia.It is very difficult to make any comment on the basis of limited information that you have posted I shall be glad if you provide following details.That will help me to come to some conclusion..
1) What were other abnormalities associated with Anal Atresia.?
2) Was any surgical procedure carried out to correct the abnormalities.?
3) What is his bladder problem and what medicine he has been prescribed ?
4) Does he have any problem apart from this ?
5) Have you done any test afterwords and what are the results of these tests.?
Please revert back with whatever information you have .I shall try to address your queries.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Child born with VATERS association. Having issue with bowel movement. Looking for solution 40 hours later
Duodenial atresia, imperforate anus, TE Fistula, Systic Kidney that has since dissolved. Nerves at the base of spinal cord are under deveolped and damaged (not tethered)
He has a man made anus, his TE fistula was corrected at 1 day old and is monitored by his pediatric surgeon.
his bladder spasms and he has excessive leakage. Detrol I believe is what he is on now, used to be oxybutinin.
We had a bladder study done yesterday, and are now being refered to a neurologist..
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

It appears from the facts that you have posted he has a Neurogenic Bladder due to improper innervation of the Bladder. The Oxybutinine that he has been prescribed is to control the spasm of the Bladder. This being congenital in origin the there are less chances of full recovery. Discuss with your Urologist regarding doing a diversion surgery like Metrofinaff's surgery, so that he can drain his bladder himself through new opening.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks with Regards.