Child bit by street dog, vaccinations done. Futher care?

Pediatrician
Question
Dear Doctor
Yesterday evening my son 4 years old was bit by a street dog.Immediately we washed the wound with water and applied tincture and rushed to physician.Doctor gave him TT and started Rabies vaccine.First shot was given yesterday and suggested four more shots.He gave an ointment to apply on the wound.
Now my question is what care i should take further and for what symptoms i should look in my son for any infection.What are the chances of Rabies infection even after vaccination.
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

I understand your concern.

Relax, there is nothing to worry as you have acted promptly.

You have taken immediate take of wound and first short of vaccine was administered in time.

I suggest you to complete vaccination as per schedule that is day 0,3,7,14 and 28.

Vaccine is 100% effective.

Rabies virus effects central nervous system and causes symptoms like paralysis,anxiety,confusion,agitation,abnormal behavior,hallucinations.

-Complete schedule in time.
-Give your child plenty of fluids and nutritious diet.
-Look for any redness at bite site.
-Apply medicine as advised.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless!!

Follow-up: Child bit by street dog, vaccinations done. Futher care? 22 minutes later
Thank you Doctor
Yesterday i.e 29/04/2013 evening first dose of vaccine was administered can you give me exact dates of next doses of vaccine administration so that i can not miss those dates.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 8 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up.

Since schedule is day 0,3,7,14 and 28.
0 dose given on 29/4/13
day 3 -on 2/5/13
day 7-on 7/5/13
day 14- on 13/5/13
day 28-on 27/5/13

Hope this helps.
Take care....

Follow-up: Child bit by street dog, vaccinations done. Futher care? 17 minutes later
Thank you Doctor
If at all any symptoms recur by what time they will start?

Every one is telling that his diet should be restricted and he should not be given some eatables.Can you please suggest me the care i should take regarding his diet.

Thanks in advance

Thanks again.

There is no relation between diet and rabies vaccination. Give him his regular diet with plenty of fluids. Only completion of vaccine is what matters.

Relax, do not worry about any symptom. He will be fine.

Let me know if you have any other query.

God bless!!